Dear All 6th Grade Families and All New 7th and 8th Grade Families:
We are very excited that your child will be attending Del Mar Middle School and we look forward to meeting your son/daughter at orientation on Wednesday, August 22nd from 9:00am-12:30pm. Our school participates in the nationwide WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) Program, an organization whose sole purpose is to help new students feel more comfortable as well as help them achieve success in their first year of middle school.
The WEB orientation and transition program is designed to welcome and support new students by assigning them an 8th grade WEB Leader as a mentor during this first year of middle school. This WEB leader is a responsible student who was hand selected and has met the qualifications of being a good role model and positive leader on our campus. The WEB orientation is designed to address students' needs and concerns in an enjoyable manner through large and small group activities. Additionally, WEB leaders will work with sixth grade advisories throughout the school year teaching life skills lessons and providing social and academic support. WEB leaders spend two days in August as well as an hour each month during the school year training to lead these activities.
Following is some information to let you know what you and your student can expect in advance of his or her first day of school.
1) A few days before orientation your child will receive a phone call from a WEB Leader personally inviting your student to orientation day and giving the details of where to be and at what time.
2) Students: Do not bring backpacks, purses or other like items as the day is quite active.
3) Because the day is active, please make sure that students wear comfortable clothing that doesn't restrict movement.
4) A pizza lunch will be provided by the PTA for all students at the conclusion of orientation.
5) You are invited to make a $35.00 donation by check payable to RUSD for a combination lock that your student will receive for his or her courtyard locker. Students are not permitted to use non-school issued locks. The $35.00 donation will also cover the cost of a PE uniform and another combination lock that will be distributed on Monday, August 27th.
6) Students needing school supplies will receive them at school over the course of the next few weeks.
While orientation is a student-only function, parents are invited and encouraged to stay Wednesday morning to attend a welcome parent meeting from 9:00-9:30 in the Del Mar amphitheater.
We look forward to meeting you and your son/daughter on orientation day.
Brian Lynch, Principal
David Sawyer, Assistant Principal
Catherine Chase, David Kover, Ryan Sonneville - WEB Coordinators