Del Mar News May 23, 2018
Dear Del Mar Community,
As our students are continuing to finish out the trimester strong as we race to summer, I wanted to highlight a couple accomplishments are students have been making on campus and in our larger community:
- Mary Poppins - Thanks to the support and leadership of our parent volunteers, our musical production this year was a huge success for our students and community. Student and parents who participated spoke highly of their experience and we even had a couple sold out performances!
- Del Mar Students had their best showing in history at the year's countywide Margie Burke Speech Tournament. Fourteen Del Mar Dragons poured their hearts out in monologues, impromptu, original prose & poetry, and persuasive speeches. Del Mar also had the high honor of one Dragon who became the tournament's second Grand Champion!
- Track & Field - Del Mar student athletes took home first place in 8 of the 14 relays run. Individual first place medals were earned by 10 students of all grades, and many local and county records were set at the area and county-wide meet. It was our most successful showing ever!
- Two 8th grade students eloquently presented to the Marin County Board of Supervisors regarding the work of TEA club as it relates to the Countywide work around equity.
- 8th Grade Student Showcase - Our 8th graders shared with their younger peers how they've grown through their years at Del Mar. Anchoring their presentations in the work/projects they completed in all academic areas; students confidently demonstrated what it means to be a RUSD student.
- Student Leadership program - Students have partnered with Tiburon City Council members to begin discussions and planning for a community center.
- Two 7th grade students have won awards from the River of Words Anthology and the California Coastal Commission for their poetry written in their Humanities classes.
These are just a sampling of what our students accomplish with the support and guidance of our teachers and parents; and another reminder for me of how fortunate I am to work with such a wonderful school community.
Please read the attached Math Newsletter.
Last chance to order your yearbooks online. After May 25th the price will go up and you can only purchase them in the Del Mar Office.
2018-2019 Yellow Bus Challenge - Passes are now on sale.
Permission slips went home for the end of the year class field trips. Please take a minute and help support your child's excursion and donate today:
At Del Mar there is a tradition that works wonderfully for parents and teachers/staff. You make one donation, in whatever amount you like, which is used to purchase gift cards for every teacher and staff member at Del Mar. PLEASE CONTRIBUTE HERE to thank the wonderful teachers and staff who make Del Mar the great school that it is! Contributions are due by May 30th. Checks or cash are accepted in the Del Mar Office.
The Foundation would like to take this opportunity to thank the sponsors, families and community members who made this year's Regatta weekend such a tremendous success! We are so grateful for your generosity!
Thanks to many generous donors at Saturday night's Gatsby Gala & Auction, we are now halfway to our "Raise Your Paddle for Innovation" goal of $90,000. Reaching this goal will allow RUSD to place Digital Displays in all 90 classrooms, libraries and Design Labs districtwide. Each Digital Display costs $1,000. Regatta is over, but you can still contribute to this effort! Please visit our website for more information.
Remember: Raise Your Paddle contributions are 100% tax deductible.
TIBURON NIGHT AT THE GIANTS IS MONDAY, JUNE 4th! That's less than two weeks away! Come watch the Tiburon Schools Chorus sing our National Anthem before the game! Tickets are going fast, so get yours today! Purchase tickets together to sit with friends! Click here for details and to purchase tickets!
- FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA for a chance to win free tickets to all of our events. If you don't follow, you can't win!