First Day Tips
Should I send my child on the bus the first day of school?
Yes. Staff will be ready and waiting to greet your child. Please make sure that your child's bus pass is visible and safely attached to her/his backpack or tote.
If I drive, walk, or bike with my child to school, what is the protocol for drop-off and pick-up?
Reed: Drivers use the designated car line behind the school. Please note that there is absolutely no available parking on the school campus. Parents must use street parking. If you are on foot or bike, please drop off and pick up your child at the front gate.
Bel Aire: The best route to follow: Blackfield to Cecilia to Leland to Karen Way in order to ease congestion and prevent children from crossing the street in front of vehicles on Karen Way. Parking for parents/visitors is ALWAYS at the bottom of the hill. Parking on campus is only available for staff.
Can I walk my child to class?
Yes. Please feel free to introduce yourself the first day but understand that individual conversations about your child should be communicated at another time. Beginning Monday, August 26, parents are not to be on campus unless they are scheduled to volunteer and have signed in through the front office and received a Visitor’s Badge.
Do I send my child to school with lunch on the first day of school?
Yes. Send a lunch and a big snack for morning recess with your child. All students need to bring a lunch from home for the first couple days of school. We are contracting again with Choice Lunch this year, but the first day of service is not until Monday, August 26. Please read this article to learn about how to register for the lunch program.
What should my child be sure to bring on the first day of school?
Students need to bring their snack and lunch (plus a backpack or tote). All general school supplies will be provided.
What time does school start?
- Reed: Line up bell at 8:25, Classroom instruction begins at 8:30
- Bel Aire: School begins at 8:00
- Del Mar: School begins at 8:20
What time does school end?
- Reed: School ends at 2:40 M, T, Th, F and at 1:40 on Wednesdays.
- Bel Aire: School ends at 2:35 M, T, Th, F and at 1:35 on Wednesdays.
- Del Mar: School ends at 3:10 M, T, Th, F and at 2:05 on Wednesdays.
Please note that the first day of school, August 22nd is an early dismissal day. Reed ends at 1:40 & Bel Aire ends at 1:35.
If I pick up my child, where do I meet them at the end of the day?
Please designate a place, and tell your child where you will meet him/her at the end of the day. It is important that you do not wait outside the classroom as it disrupts the routine.
- Reed: You can meet your child(ren) in carline, at the front gate, or at the child's lunch table. Please be arrive a few minutes early as after school supervision is not provided.
- Bel Aire: If you are staying in your car at the bottom of the hill, your child will wait with the crossing guard at the bottom of the hill until you pull up in line. If you are walking up the hill to meet your child, please designate a spot in front of the school. We suggest the green gate, lower playground, upper steps, or the office wall.